Friday, August 31, 2018

North Rim, Grand Canyon, AZ

We drove from Snow Canyon to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.  The drive was around three hours but the truck was struggling on some of the steeper hills pulling the trailer.  This is something we’re addressing with a possible new truck in our future.  


After passing the park entrance gate, there is quite a drive to the campground and lodge.  

Along the drive these were our greeters!  A whole bunch of bison.  I figured we'd see them from time to time during the week but this was the only time we saw them.




We got set up into site #71.  The sites are not very level and we had trouble getting the trailer completely level so we were a little slanted.  Well, we were not too slanted but it was noticeable in a few things like the kitchen sink and our bathroom door would close slowly if we moved around the trailer.  This is something we’ll need to get better at with experience.

This campground has no hookups so it’s the first time we stayed without electricity.  I was a little nervous about being without electricity for a week but we managed OK with the one battery.  Al was able to get the generator up and running for the first time with no problems to recharge the battery when needed.  There are restricted hours for the generator (7am-9am and then 6pm-8pm) and you can set your watch to our neighbor here for the generator hours.  Once Al hooked up the generator and turned it on, we charged up all or electronic items.  It was quite humorous with most outlets in the RV in use with some device being charged.


Today was cleaning day.  The trailer got a good cleaning inside and we got more organized with some more items.  While cleaning we listened to the John McCain memorial service that was playing on one of the few stations we can pick up on the radio.  Then later I received a text from a friend that one of her friends who I knew died this week.  Both had cancer.  Puts things more in to perspective and we don’t know how much time we have on this earth. 

I saw a guy today wearing a t-shirt that said, Travel – the only thing you can buy that makes you richer.  That’s been one of my life mottoes. 

We hiked from the campground to the lodge (about 1 mile) and left the campground under nice blue skies.  We listened to a ranger talk on hummingbirds near the lodge and walked around a bit looking at the views.  Then it started to rain.  This is monsoon season.



North Rim Lodge
The day before we were walking the Bright Angel Lookout trail and there was a sign stating that someone had been struck by lightening at that exact spot just one month prior and to seek shelter when you hear thunder.  We hung out in the lodge with everyone else sitting on these comfy sofas and looking out the big glass windows to the canyon and watched a storm pass by.  We only had one rain poncho with us so Al did the manly thing and let me wear it as we walked back to the campground in the rain.  Of course, by the time we arrived the rain had stopped.  Don’t leave on a hike without rain gear!   Lesson learned! 

BTW, the person struck by lightening was in their 20's and survived because there was a doctor on the trail and he performed CPR until the EMT's took over.   


  Here are more photos of the canyon.



A cute children's book I saw in the general store.  I like to think they wear hiking boots!

We purchased this book which has good info on all the national parks.



Steller Jay



One day we did the drive out to Cape Royal and saw these sites.

Angels Window

Colorado River way out there!




Cliff Spring Trail

Cliff Spring Trail

Afternoon thunderstorms were the norm this time of year.  
Another storm this time hitting the south rim.
A storm brewing
One day we did a hike on the Kaibob trail.  It's the only trail on the north rim that goes down into the canyon.  The unfortunate thing for me is this trail starts off going down so the hardest part is after I turn around and then have to huff and puff my way back up and out.

We did this hike the last time we were at the north rim and we hiked all the way down to Roaring Springs.  It wasn't much so I knew I didn't want to hike all that way again.  I planned to hike down to the bridge but by the time we arrived at the Tunnel, I'd had enough.  I knew it was going to be hard going back up so I turned around.  Our plan was for Al to go further down to the bridge and return and we would meet up at a lookout.  I turned around and he hiked down more.

Supai Tunnel


Can you see Al hiking further down the trail?

Al still going further down into the canyon.

It took me about an hour to hike back up to the overlook meeting spot and wait for Al.  On my way up every time I found a shady spot I stopped to catch my breath and drink some water if there was a nice rock to sit on and rest.  I took my time and didn't have to worry about Al waiting for me every time I needed to stop.  It was a nice hike back up at my pace.
Al hiked down past this bridge
 Al hiked almost all the way to Roaring Springs so he went further than we agreed.  What a surprise!

Part of the trail cut into the wall of the canyon.

This was my view from the overlook waiting for Al to come back.
I finally caught Al on the trail on his way back up using the binoculars.  It was getting cloudy and then it started to thunder and then the rain came.  Al still wasn't back yet but this time we each had rain gear.  I waited for Al to get to the overlook and then we hiked the remaining bit back to the trail head and then back to our RV.  Al was exhausted and cold.  Of course he didn't put on his rain gear until he met up with me at the overlook.  He was wet and cold.  When we finally got back to the RV, we changed out of our wet hiking clothes, ate lunch, and took a nap.  Al was still cold so he took a nice hot shower in the RV.  Then he felt better. 


The next day we took a different hike called Uncle Jim.  This one had an overlook of the Kaibob trail we did yesterday.  You can see it a bit in the lower left portion of this photo in the green bushy area.


On this hike I tripped trying to step over some chains that were set up to corral the mules.  I landed on my knee, then hands, and eventually stopping with my face on a rock.  Ouch!  I ended up with a nice bruise on my chin just under my lower lip.  Luckily it looked worse then it felt and it didn't last too long.  I did look like a battered wife for about a week.  I'm surprised no one asked me if I needed help getting out of a bad situation. 

At the north rim there is a gas station that is full service.  We don't see that much anymore unless we're in New Jersey.  The attendant pumped our gas and even washed our windshield like they did in the old days.  When we pulled in, we ran over a cable that rang a bell to let the attendant know we were there.  Boy, did that bring back memories.  Here is a photo of me and the attendant.  A nice guy who has worked there for 11 seasons.  A nice little nostalgia to add to the experience of the Grand Canyon.


Nancy completed her North Rim Grand Canyon Junior Ranger and received her badge.
Nancy saying her oath for another Junior Ranger Badge.

We had a great time at the North Rim.  We really like it better than the South Rim due to there being less people.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chehalis, Washington and St Helens, Oregon

We left Ilwaco, Washington and drove inland (east) to Chehalis, Washington to a Thousand Trails park.  We found an open site we liked and go...

Most Popular Posts